Are you seeking solutions to control your oily shine?
Well, you are not alone; many of us may experience shiny skins for different reasons, whether you have an oily skin type and are constantly managing that day-to-day shine. Or your shiny skin has appeared due to environmental or lifestyle factors. We understand that the constant battle to control excess oil can be disheartening, especially when nothing seems to work.
To keep skin balanced it’s important not to strip or over process your skin but rather respect its natural equilibrium. Read on for some simple adjustments you can make to your daily skin care regimen to keep excess oil in check.
Let’s talk oily skin FACTS and bust some MYTHS
Myth: Oily skin needs more aggressive cleansers than other skin types. It should be squeaky clean!
Fact: Oily skin needs balance. Over-drying cleansers strip skin of natural sebum and lipids, triggering a cycle of dehydration that can irritate skin and make chronic oiliness worse. Instead, pick a cleanser that removes excess oil without stripping skin’s natural lipid barrier.
Myth: Oily skin doesn’t need moisturizer – that will just make it oilier.
Fact: The opposite is often true! In fact, people who struggle with oily skin often actually have dehydrated skin (skin without enough water); their skin then tries to compensate by producing too much oil. As with cleansing, the key is to find the right balance – so look for a truly oil-free moisturizer that’s packed with water-based hydrators.
Myth: A little sun exposure can help dry up oily skin.
Fact: Unprotected sun exposure won’t help oily skin – it will only cause further damage. While it may seem, the sun provides a temporary “drying” effect, it’s just putting skin into a dehydrated state. Eventually sebaceous glands will fire into overdrive to help replace lost oil, resulting in more oil on the surface than before.
Myth: If you want to change oily skin, change your diet.
Fact: Oily skin is genetic. It’s also often tied to hormones, which can influence skin’s oil production. So, while it’s true that our lifestyle can often impact our skin health, the best thing you can do for oily skin is strive for balance.
Now you understand the facts about oily shine, let’s look at our top Dermalogica go to products!
- Use PreCleanse oil – yes, an oil! as the first part of your double cleanse routine.
- For your 2nd cleanse, use a clay-based cleanser such as Active Clay Cleanser which uses Kaolin Clay to absorb excess oils whilst Botanical lipids and Murumuru Seed work together to attract and remove excess oil from skin while helping to protect its natural lipid barrier and promote a healthy microbiome. Skin is left feeling super clean yet comfortable.
- Regular exfoliation can help control oil production, improve skin texture, and help prevent clogged pores that lead to breakouts. It also helps prep the skin for maximum absorption of oil-controlling ingredients. We recommend using a gentle daily exfoliant, such as Daily Microfoliant, this exfoliant uses Papain from papaya and Salicylic Acid which helps to dissolve excess skin cells and unclog pores.
- Try Sebum Clearing Masque, once or twice a week. Apply this clay-based masque to oily areas, the Bentonite and Kaolin Clays help control sebaceous gland secretions and clean out pores.
Pro Tip! You can use your Active Clay Cleanser as a 5-minute mini masque, once or twice a week.
- After cleansing, apply an oil free moisturiser such as Active Moist. Oily/shiny skins can suffer from dehydration (lacking water) this triggers skin to produce more oil to protect itself. Active Moist uses natural botanical extracts of Lemon, Cucumber and Burdock to help refine the skin along with a skin-balancing Prebiotic Complex.
- Prefer a mattified look? Moisturise with Oil Free Matte SPF30, using Niacinamide to regulate oil production and soothe inflammation. This oil absorbing moisturiser helps maintain an all-day matte finish, preventing shine without any powdery residue. The sheer formula also provides UV defence.
- Pro Tip: Create a “matte kit” from the products above to keep in your bag for mid-day touch-ups. Your kit should include oil-free lotions or sunscreens.
For further support on combating your oily shine, chat live with a Dermalogica Expert here or book a virtual 1 to 1 consultation with Face Mapping so we can assess your skin and give you personalised skin advice.